Beets are believed to have liver cleansing properties, and they have been widely used to in Europe to treat allergies, chronic fatigue, chemical sensitivities and digestive issues. Now, much of this is based only on someone’s grandma re-telling a story of what helped a village child while they were growing up or some such thing! But I believe there could be some truth to it!
This tonic is, therefore, a great detox aid (albeit an acquired taste!)
4 medium beetroots
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1. Chop the beets and place into a jar with the water and salt.
2. Swirl everything around so the salt gets dissolved in the water.
3. Cover loosely with a lid or cheesecloth with a rubber band and leave to ferment for 3 days at room temperature.
4. Taste, and adjust your fermenting time if needed. The longer you leave it, the tangier it will become.
5. When you are happy with the taste, transfer to a sterilized bottle and seal (I keep mine in the fridge and consume within a few days)
Download the Printable PDF HERE